Monday, July 29, 2013

WE CHOOSE TO GO TO THE MOON


And so here we are.

About a week ago I wrote another version of this post, announcing its closing. It was full of time-is-my-enemy-blah-blah-woe-is-me-blah-blah-no-pity-party-pity-party-etc-etc.

But before I posted it I had second thoughts, and finally figured, “Fuck it.”

I realized that I would be turning my back on the very premise that drives this blog, namely, to write without fear. As I recently told someone, it exists so I can write what I want when I want, an anarchist’s take on the First Amendment, if you will.

A lot has happened in the past 14 months, not the least of which was my inability to post anything—ANYTHING—on this wondrous, masturbatory bastion of the Freedom of Speech. In the words of my favorite quote from The Princess Bride, let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up:

1)      I changed my shift to nights, in part thinking it would open so much up in terms of creative time. Joke was on me, though. I’d stupidly forgotten that nights are a creative killer for me. Hence the vacant period of posts and so much else.

2)      I took my own advice, and Da Family and I moved up to the Phoenix area.

3)      Did I get a writing job, you ask? No; more phlebing it turns out, but it’s a good company and upward mobility, great benies and I am working the afternoon shift so the mornings, my best writing time, is now open for me to be crank out those posts for which I know you’ve been starving.

4)      Did I look for a writing job? You betcha. I also had more writing job interviews in one month than the past decade in Tucson. No takers, though.

5)      I have a sinking final that perhaps this blog was in part a reason for my lack of writing employment. In my pursuit to write without fear, I was perhaps less than prudent when picking my subject matter, particularly when talking about my past employment. Well, I’m sure many thought JFK was being imprudent when he promised the world to land a man on the moon in less than ten years, too. So suck it, straights!

Now that I am here, all I can do is make the best of what I have. What will I be doing as a writer? Frankly I’m not sure beyond this blog. I have a novel that is more than 100 pages into a rough draft, and several short stories, all of which exist at various stages of their beginnings. Having said that, I have no plans. I’m just taking this one step at a time. Let’s see what happens together, shall we?
 
(Editor's note: Like what you read? No? Well, read something else on the blog. I'll wait ... Did you like that? Great! Tell your friends! Hell, tell your enemies! Tell your family, business acquaintances, your neighbors and that guy who talks to himself at the bus stop. Especially him. Let's see what we can do to make this the biggest blog EEVVVVVVAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR! By the way, please contribute by clicking on the link above. Your financial help keeps The Maztorphyl up and running!)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment